Sound Recording and Sound Design
The specialisation area of Sound Recording and Sound Design educates professionals and artists who can work as sound engineers and designers in all areas of film and television production.
Tuition in sound design imparts to the students skills related to expression and technical tools. Students must remember at all times that technological equipment is only a tool.
For the sound designer, each film production is an exploration of the project’s individual problems, starting from the choice of equipment and the filming and ending with the final mix of the film’s soundtrack.
Preconditions for having an in-depth understanding of the special characteristics of a film are extensive life experience, education, curiosity, courage, an open mind and active observation of the surrounding reality. The tuition particularly stresses the fact that a graduating sound designer is not a technical recorder but a film-maker.
The competence areas of a sound designer may include:
- sound recorder and sound designer skills in all areas of film and television production
- perceiving and mastering the interaction of image and sound
- mastering entities of sound
- skills in managing technical equipment
- seeing one’s own skills in proportion to other job descriptions in the field
- knowledge of other arts and social thinking and putting these in proportion to the frame of reference of the student’s own specialisation area
- being active in the cultural sector.
The specialisation area works together with the Department of Music Technology at the Sibelius Academy, Department of Lighting and Sound Design at the Theatre Academy and Metropolia University of Applied Sciences.